Are Nanny Cams Really Necessary?
Nanny cams have become quite popular in recent years, thanks to advances in technology. Their use allows parents to check in on their children and nanny to know exactly what is going on in their house when they are at work or traveling.
However, there can be debate about using nanny cams, especially when using hidden nanny cams. To help you decide what is in your best interest and the interest of your children, we encourage you to review the following information.
What Is a Nanny Cam?
A nanny cam is an electronic device that connects wirelessly to the internet to provide video access through a mobile app or monitor. Other nanny cams function like modern home security cameras or even connect to a home security system. There are also hidden nanny cams like those found inside a stuffed animal.
Are Nanny Cams Legal?
One question that can arise when considering installing and using nanny cams is whether nanny cams are legal. It really depends on your state and local laws. It is perfectly legal to make a video recording of anything that happens in your house and on your property.
However, many states have made it illegal to record audio with or without video. This means any nanny cam footage that includes audio can be inadmissible as evidence and inadmissible in court.
Furthermore, it can be a breach of privacy laws if you place nanny cams in bathrooms, showers, and your live-in nanny’s bedroom. These areas are considered private and cannot be recorded at any time legally.
Pros of Nanny Cams
Deciding to use nanny cams for video recording can have several benefits for parents, including:
- Helps provide a connection to your children. Even though you cannot be at home, you can still stay connected and check in to see what your children are doing during the day while you are gone.
- Offers peace of mind for parents. Nancy cams can help put your mind at ease, especially when you just hired a new nanny you may not be fully comfortable with yet.
- Ensures your children are safe. Parents can use nanny cams to verify their children are not being abused or mistreated by their nanny or other household staff.
- Helps parents identify potential caregiver problems. Parents can confirm their nanny is following their instructions, such as meal times, bedtimes, screen time, etc. Additionally, parents can use nanny cams to determine if their nanny is spending too much time on her phone and having friends over when she should not and can identify other job performance issues.
Cons of Nanny Cams
Conversely, using nanny cams can have their drawbacks, as follows:
- The video footage may not provide the complete picture. Nanny cams have a limited viewing area that does not show what is happening outside the viewing range. For example, your toddler may be napping while your nanny takes a break. However, your cameras did not capture the footage of them playing outside and eating a picnic lunch earlier.
- Your nanny may feel like you do not trust them. If you use hidden nanny cams and your nanny finds them, they can feel angered, hurt, and offended. Since you didn’t tell them you were using nanny cams, it comes across as you do not trust them or their ability to care for your children.
Should You Tell Your Nanny About Nanny Cams?
If you intend to use nanny cams, informing your nanny of your intentions can be beneficial. By being honest about their use, like you want to check in and see your children during the day, your nanny will appreciate being told ahead of time.
Other Options Besides Nanny Cams
Parents have other options besides nanny cams. For example, they could arrange daily video chats with their children during lunchtime. They could ask their nanny to video their children playing and send it to them. As you can see, there are many different options for parents to feel connected to their children while they are at work or traveling.
In addition, you could work with a nanny staffing agency like Staffing at Tiffanie’s. We run extensive background checks on our nannies and domestic staffing candidates to ensure you get the best candidates. As such, you will not have to worry about using nanny cams.
For help finding a nanny or other domestic staff for your home, please feel free to contact us at 866-484-5550 today!