Fun Summer Activities for Kids and Nannies to Enjoy Together
With the school year winding down, now is a great time to start planning fun summer activities for the kids you care for as a nanny. Summer activities should be geared toward the children’s ages and include both indoor and outdoor activities at home or for a day trip.
There are plenty of summer activities for kids to do at home to keep them off their electronic devices. Your objective should be to develop activities that engage the children, challenge their thought processes, and keep them busy.
- Grow fresh fruit and vegetables. Have the children select their favorites and pick up seeds from a local nursery or garden center. You can use a small patio planter, plastic cups, or milk jugs to grow the plants in.
- Build an obstacle course. Using items around the house like furniture cushions, chairs, and pillows, create a course for kids to navigate through. Get permission from the parents or housekeeper first, of course.
- Go camping in the backyard. If you have access to a tent, you can enjoy sleeping outdoors under the stars with the children.
- Collect rocks from outside to paint. The children can paint their favorite animals or other characters on rocks. Use them to decorate their garden boxes.
- Watch movies outside at night. All you need is a movie projector and a white sheet to play movies outdoors on cooler summer nights.
- Make homemade ice cream. It is easy to make ice cream using a few basic ingredients.
- Host a homemade pizza party. For playdates, birthday parties, and other occasions, kids will enjoy getting to make their own pizzas with their favorite toppings.
- Make tie-dye t-shirts. You need some white t-shirts, rubber bands, rubber gloves, and different dye colors.
- Create a scavenger hunt. You can give the kids a list of different things they need to find. They can use their phone to take pictures of the items like a flower, butterfly, etc. If they don’t have a phone, get a kid-friendly digital camera they can use. Afterward, they can share their favorite pictures on social media.
- Create your own fun pool games. If your kids have a pool at home, you can have them help you create fun pool games.
Day Trip Activities
If you can plan day trips with the children, try to schedule one or two outings a week to provide your kids with fun and exciting things to do away from home.
- Visit a zoo or aquarium. If there is a zoo or aquarium nearby, plan to spend a day checking out all the different animals with the children.
- Plan a day at an amusement park or water park. Most kids enjoy getting to spend an entire day at an amusement park or water park.
- Go to an early afternoon matinee. Taking the kids to the movies can be a fun day out for them. Afterward, stop at an old-fashioned diner for lunch and milkshakes.
- Play miniature golf. Miniature golf is fun for all ages.
- Go for a bike ride on bike trails. Most cities have designated bike trails in city parks or other areas where you do not have to worry about busy intersections or heavy vehicle traffic.
- Visit a playground. Many local parks have playgrounds where kids can socialize with other children. Do not forget to pack a picnic lunch.
- Visit the library. Local libraries usually plan all sorts of summer activities for kids of all ages, from puppet shows to free movies.
As you can see, there are plenty of fun summer activities for kids to enjoy. We hope our activities inspire you to come up with your own fun summer nanny activities for kids.