The Role of a Chauffeur
A chauffeur is a personal driver who drives you from one place to another. A chauffeur may work for you as part of your household staff or be hired on the spot through a chauffeur service. With a service, the chauffeur only drives for a set period.
A personal chauffeur is available 24/7 whenever you need to go somewhere. Plus, you can bring your chauffeur along when traveling so they can drive you around wherever you may go.
The Difference Between a Personal Chauffeur and a Personal Driver
In recent years, personal drivers have become more popular with many households. Yet, a personal driver and a personal chauffeur are not the same. For starters, a chauffeur is typically associated with elegance, luxury, and style.
As such, chauffeurs tend to drive luxury and high-end vehicles. You would not find a chauffeur driving an economy car. On the other hand, a personal driver drives any type of vehicle, whether it is an economy car, midsize vehicle, or cargo van.
Another key difference between the two is in their dress. A chauffeur always dresses professionally and elegantly. Typically, when we think of a chauffeur, they are wearing a black suit, white shirt, and black tie, with driving gloves and a hat. A personal driver tends to dress down and wear more casual clothing.
A third difference is in the extent of training. Personal chauffeurs have often received extensive education and training in various areas, including travel and tourism, language arts, and foreign languages. This allows chauffeurs to speak elegantly and engage in conversation with their passengers when they want to converse.
Some chauffeurs also serve as private security for the household members they drive. They will have training in self-defense, personal security, and so on. Furthermore, chauffeurs will keep information confidential and private for the households they serve.
What Other Responsibilities Does a Personal Chauffeur Have?
Aside from driving people around, chauffeurs have other expected job duties they perform for their employer. Common job duties include:
- Always keep the vehicle clean and polished. A chauffeur will detail the interior and exterior of the vehicle in between driving trips.
- Always keep up on necessary vehicle maintenance and repairs. A chauffeur is tasked with keeping track of vehicle maintenance and obtaining necessary repairs when needed.
- Research and know the most efficient routes for upcoming trips. Chauffeurs must determine the most appropriate routes for driving their passengers to and from various destinations. They should be aware of alternative routes in case of traffic or other delays, without relying on a GPS.
- Always ensure their passengers arrive on time. A chauffeur needs to make sure their passengers arrive on time at their destinations while adhering to speed limits and other traffic laws.
- Always open doors for their passengers. A chauffeur should greet the passenger, open doors, and provide assistance with getting into and out of the vehicle.
- Always carry all packages, luggage, and other items. A chauffeur may be expected to accompany the driver on shopping trips and travel. When they do, they will carry items for their employer, as well as load and unload the vehicle.
Please remember, these are just the more common job responsibilities of a personal chauffeur. The exact job duties and responsibilities can and do vary based on the needs of the household.
Who Would Benefit the Most from Having a Chauffeur?
Any household that wants to leave the driving to someone else would benefit from having a chauffeur, such as:
- Families with children who need driving to and from school, sporting events, social events, and other outings.
- Anyone who wants to be able to maximize their travel time by catching up on emails, making phone calls, taking care of businesses, and so on.
- Anyone who has difficulties driving and does not want to give up the freedom of being able to go shopping, visit friends and family, etc.
- Anyone who does not want to worry about vehicle maintenance, detailing, and repairs.
As can be seen, there are several great benefits of having a chauffeur for your household. For assistance in finding, interviewing, and discovering how to hire a chauffeur quickly and easily for your home, please contact Staffing at Tiffanie’s at 866-484-5550.We can also assist you with filling other household positions, including nannies, personal assistants, chefs, housekeepers, household managers, estate managers, yacht staff, and more.